Monday, August 8, 2011

Off and Running - 13 Weeks until 26.2

Everything about running is really overwhelming to me and despite everything in my core that tells me "Joleen, you're going to hurt yourself," I've decided this year I'm running the ING New York City Marathon. 


I was this little chub of a girl growing up, always flagged in when the 10 minutes were up to run the one-mile in elementary school. Yes, I was in the "10+ mile" group. My gym teacher, Ms. Matthiesen, would blow her whistle at those of us that had just given up 2 minutes into this physical fitness assessment and decided we were just going to walk the rest of the way because you know what? Running just wasn't our thing. Foursquare? Bring it. Jump rope? Now we're talking. Scoliosis test? Sure, why not. But running? Mmm, no thanks. Between dry heaving and messing up my french braid, I decided at the early age of 8 that running for "pleasure" just wasn't my forte and that no one really runs for pleasure. This naturally led to years of faking that I was an asthmatic or was plagued by every injury that couldn't be readily detected just to avoid one thing: RUNNING.


It's memories like this that made me realize that I've never particularly enjoyed anything about running. And the more running I've done the past two years, the more daunting it becomes. Think about it: running is really supposed to be about your body, a pair of shoes and the road. But what I'm learning is that you need a lot of well, props. Both mental props and tangible props. Running is everything but me and the road! It's about, but not limited to, the following: 



  • Fuel belts
  • Foot arches (FYI: I have no arches according to Super Runner's Shop
  • Pre-run/race anxiety
  • Sweating
  • Chafing
  • Pacing
  • Monitoring weather conditions that cause more anxiety because you are suddenly afraid of getting hit by lightening or heat stroke
  • Identification bracelets in case I am plagued by one of the above
  • Fartleks (thank the Swedish for this non-choice word for speed training)
  • Awkward eye-contact followed by the head-to-toe body assessment 
  • Carb-loading (I don't mind this one)
  • Protein shakes &  Power gels
  • "Sports beans"
  • Donation requests
  • Hydrating
  • Stretching
  • Electrolytes
  • Training schedules
  • Foam rollers 
  • The dreaded fear that I will come in last place out of thousands 

Even though I was always secretly jealous of the cross country team that just seemed to glide so effortlessly through the hills and valleys of Tacoma, WA as I headed off to either the library or cheerleading practice, after more careful review, I had way less stress with my pom-poms or books than I do with running and all the props it requires. 


What changed? Well, I moved to New York City, right by Central Park and if nothing in this world inspires you to train for a race, those two things will. It just seems everyone is a runner in New York. Whether it be running on the Hudson River Greenway or around the 6- mile loop of Central Park, through rain, snow, humidity or most recently, a heat dome, New Yorkers run through it. I'm not sure any of us really enjoy it as I have yet to see any runner smile unless they are crossing the finish line or before they throw up as a pre-puke grimace (true story) but we'll just say that crossing the finish line and grabbing a bagel is reason enough to keep running. Oh, and Oprah. Oprah ran the marathon therefore, I shall run the marathon, too. 


After my first race (NYRR Manhattan Half Marathon 2010).
Smiling through the pain & just
want to eat my bagel.
My first race was January 2010 - The Manhattan Half-Marathon in Central Park. I could tell you I had a feeling of euphoria, like I could conquer anything that life threw my way, but that would be a blatant and abject lie. I couldn't walk for three days after the race. I didn't train correctly (actually, I didn't train at all), I had about twelve blisters and lost two toenails, peed my pants when I crossed the finish line (literally) and as if that wasn't bad enough, I had the brilliant idea to wear my brand-new sneakers for my first big race. The various levels of stupidity and non-runner angst dripped off of me just like the puddles of sweat that were freezing to my Under Armour. (see right)


After my blisters had healed and I was able to walk without a semi-permanent waddle, I ran nine New York Road Runner (NYRR) races and volunteered for one race, granting me the 9+1 guaranteed entry. Each race, I got a little faster, hated running a little less, and learned very quickly I don't think running is really in the Zanuzoski bloodline but I am determined to keep doing it. The pain of running helped me forget about being denied by publisher after publisher for my manuscript on a journey to Southeast Asia, it washed away the winter blues and made me feel energized again. Something about being outside and running through New York, the city I call home, made me feel more authentically part of this cities landscape. 


I will keep it pushin' until I cross the finish line on November 6, 2011. Then after the race has concluded and I have collected my mylar cape thing, I'll revisit this whole "running recreationally" thing. But for now, I'll share my journey through my love/hate run-ationship. 


The Schedule: 

The Books:





No comments:

Post a Comment